Hemorrhoids or piles refers to inflamed veins in the anus and lower rectum, quite similar to varicose veins. Hemorrhoids often develop inside the rectum (internal hemorrhoids) or under the skin around the anus (external hemorrhoids).
- Straining during bowel movements
- Chronic diarrhea or constipation
- Anal intercourse
- Low-fiber diet
- Repeatedly lifting heavy objects
- A family history of hemorrhoids
- Extreme itching, irritation and pain around the anus
- Itchy or painful lump near your anus
- Leakage of faeces
- Painful bowel movements
- Blood after having a bowel movement
Few Ayurvedic treatment tips
Ayurveda recommends changes in diet, lifestyle, herbal supplements, medication and exercise as treatment for piles. As constipation is one of the major causes of piles, the treatment mostly focuses on ensuring good digestive health. However, if an individual has painful piles, Ayurvedic treatment lays emphasis on treating the symptoms and improving the quality of life.
- Avoid starchy foods such as potato, yellow pumpkin and colocasia. Instead, include more fibre in your diet.
- Add sesame and mango seeds to your diet to prevent constipation. Eat fruits such as dried figs, amalaki and papaya as these are natural stool softeners.
- Consume vegetables that have a lot of roughage like radish, turnip, onions, bitter gourd and ginger.
- It is advisable to incorporate certain basic lifestyle changes. Exercise regularly and have a normal and healthy sex life.
- Do not sit for long periods of time.
- Drink lots of water to prevent constipation. An occasional colon cleanse can be helpful.
- Herbs for Piles: Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula) and Suran (Yam) are two of the major herbs that are usually used for the treatment of piles. Elephant foot yam and Whitespot giant arum helps in improving your digestive system.
- Ayurvedic medicines for piles mainly include Arshohar Vati, Abhayarishta, Arshhar Gutika, Arshoghni Vati, Kankayan Vati, etc. Arshoghni Vati is generally used for bleeding piles and Kankayan Vati for non-bleeding piles.